Monday 24 January 2011

Dig Dig Dig

Today was time for more digging and planning out the plot ready for the start of planting things in February. I braved the freezing cold weather in my new killer boots ready to have a good old therapeutic dig.


It didn't surprise me that there were not many people out digging today as when I arrived, it was like the arctic up there - well not quite, maybe I wasn't wrapped up enough!

I had a check of my rhubarb and pleased to see it coming through - can't wait to use it for my rhubarb and custard cake!



Then had a check of my garlic which I planted back in October, this should be ready about summer time. This is growing well too.




 


I was prepared with my allotment plan on my Blackberry phone, which is fab as can keep on track with my plan (Bringing modern technology to the outdoors!). I started where I had left off last weekend, marking out little patches for the veg. As I have a whole year this year, I thought it would be easier if I de-weed little sections and mark them out, and then when it comes round to planting something there, giving it another proper dig. This way I will get more done early on and it won't be so disheartening!!

The ground was wet and all the mud sticking to my new boots, not ideal for conditions for digging but I was determined to get rid of the brambles - glad no one was around to hear my foul mouth everytime a bramble went through my glove into my poor fingers! I dug away for about 2 hours and felt I made a bit of progress, only a small section to go until I have dug the whole allotment (since I had it last year that is!). I may have a celebratory coffee when I get to that stage.

I am getting frustrated with my shed as I was very lucky to get it off Freecycle, it has been sitting there unerected for a couple of months now, one panel was warped when we got it so that is on top of the other panels, protecting them from the weather. I can't put it up until we have enough posts or something for the base - my Dad is helping with this job as I can't do this alone! Also, my boyfriend won't join me at the allotment until my shed is up! He wants a hammock too - lazy!





No comments:

Post a Comment